News

Hacking of 6.9K Mobile Units with Encryption Unsuccessful, FBI Director Revealed

 There are actually many shared stories and reports about people who experienced personal fear in life because of privacy invasion, which tend to become a widespread issue across the globe nowadays. As expected, the invention of the Internet played a huge role in helping those abusive individuals who are hacking information or making unlawful activities online.

Fortunately, there are government agencies and private organizations that make an effort to deal with these types of individuals to keep the online world safe.

According from the latest published news through rt.com, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) director admitted that their agencies did not successfully hacked close to 7,000 cell phone devices with encrypted security feature. He revealed this statement from the conference of the police chiefs, which is about privacy issue and the involvement of the government.

“To put it mildly, this is a huge, huge problem,” said Christopher Wray who is the current director of the FBI as quoted by the news. “It impacts investigations across the board — narcotics, human trafficking, counterterrorism, counterintelligence, gangs, organized crime, child exploitation,” he added.

The conference last Monday involved the International Association of Chiefs of Police and held in Philadelphia. The agency head said that they failed to retrieve the data of almost 6,900 devices due to the encryption of the mobile phones.

It actually took the FBI almost 11 months and still did not succeed.

From the shared information through infowars.com, most of the mobile and Smartphone units, feature default’s applications encrypt content. Because of this, it would be difficult to access the data of the users because this kind of feature is strict and not allowing any sort of interception about private information.

Search this phone directory of available public information about phone number owners.

According to the statement of the FBI director also, the issue about attempting to hack the encrypted devices is in line with the 2016 iPhone hacking controversy. Last year, the agency made a demand that Apple managed to hack a mobile phone utilized by Syed Rizwan Farook, who is the gunman in a crime in San Bernardino.

Apple that time stated that they did not hack the device because the encryption features of the iPhone devices does not allow such activity due to its strict protection.

In an effort to calm down the worries of many iPhone users and the controversy, FBI they already discussed with a third party that can break or unlock the device of the gunman. Unfortunately, things had slightly changed because early this 2017, the agency admitted that they do not have the information from the third party, which came from the ruling of the federal court, as detailed by ZDNet.

From the point of view of the FBI director, they might not execute their plans better unless the Congress begins to re-authorizing the current Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA). He said that they have trouble completing their intelligence gathering due to the restrictions.

Based on the existing guidelines of FISA, it permits the secret services of America to wiretap both phone and online communications that involve US citizens and in overseas. However, the permission is only possible if the purpose has a significant value as part of an authorized investigation. On the other hand, many are not in favor of this kind of permission because it somehow affecting the privacy law and could trigger fear to the public.

As exposed by Edward Snowden few months ago, the NSA surveillance programs intend to retrieve users’ content when using the Internet through the mobile devices. This means that people who are using social media platforms, Microsoft, Google and Apple might not be aware that the NSA is trying to access their data.