From the latest shared news reports online, search engine company Yahoo revealed that it is possible that the stolen email accounts back in 2013 caused by the data breach might be 3 times than what it has reported before.
Yahoo revealed on Tuesday that the affected email account holders are approximately three billion accounts, which it announced before that the estimated stolen e-mails are two billion.
The recent announcement of the parent company of Yahoo revealed that the announced affected email accounts back in 2013 might increased in their latest estimation. According from the news through Reuters, the search engine company said it is possible that the compromised emails affected its 3 billion users.
This estimation came out after the investigation about the data breach in 2013.
The popular search engine company said last year that over one million email accounts had been part of the breach, which they considered the biggest data breach problem worldwide in history.
From the statement of the company last December, it said that “names, email addresses, telephone numbers, dates of birth, hashed passwords (using MD5) and, in some cases, encrypted or encrypted security questions and answers.”
The investigation however failed to conclude if the hackers successfully acquired the payment card data, clear text or bank account passwords of the involved users.
On the other hand, Yahoo just recently announced that they already resolved the data breach problem last year after taking the necessary actions for them to provide the exact security to their valued users. Right after learning about the breach that time, they also required the users to immediately replace their password and use security questions to make sure nobody can access their registered accounts.
Verizon Communications is now the owner of Yahoo after its acquisition last June with the amount of $4.48 billion. It also revealed that they had been working with some forensic professionals in investigating the breach and likewise has “new intelligence” to make sure the same problem will not happen again, the news added.
Verizon had combined the popular search engine with AOL as a new company recognized as Oath.
Yahoo is continuously making an effort to notify the other two billion users about the problem, just like what it did from the initial one billion account holders.
From the statement of Chandra McMahon as detailed through Financial Times, said that Verizon the decision to invest in acquiring Yahoo means improving its security and so that they can provide better experience to all their valid users.
“We proactively work to ensure the safety and security of our users and networks in an evolving landscape of online threats,” said McMahon in her statement as quoted by rt.com.
McMahon is Verizon Communication’s chief information security officer.
Yahoo released its latest statement about the affected billions of users after the Congress grilled the former boss of Equifax, which is a popular credit reporting company that experienced a huge data breach few months ago. Equifax admitted that about 142 million of people in the United States are part of the breach and possible compromised their credit card information, Social Security numbers and other important data.
Equifax had been investigation about the issue to determine the exact hackers.
Last March, there is conducted internal investigation proving that the senior executives of the company failed to investigate or comprehend properly.
According to the filed regulatory through the Securities and Exchange Commission, it stated that “The information security team understood that the attacker had exfiltrated copies of user database backup files containing the personal data of Yahoo users but it is unclear whether…exfiltration was effectively communicated and understood outside the information security team.”
It is very important for Yahoo to explain its side further and appropriately because there are affected users who are revealing their worries about the real issue.