Hacking of 6.9K Mobile Units with Encryption Unsuccessful, FBI Director Revealed

There are actually many shared stories and reports about people who experienced personal fear in life because of privacy invasion, which tend to become a widespread issue across the globe nowadays. As expected, the invention of the Internet played a huge role in helping those abusive individuals who are hacking information or making unlawful activities online.

Fortunately, there are government agencies and private organizations that make an effort to deal with these types of individuals to keep the online world safe.

According from the latest published news through rt.com, the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) director admitted that their agencies did not successfully hacked close to 7,000 cell phone devices with encrypted security feature. He revealed this statement from the conference of the police chiefs, which is about privacy issue and the involvement of the government.

“To put it mildly, this is a huge, huge problem,” said Christopher Wray who is the current director of the FBI as quoted by the news. “It impacts investigations across the board — narcotics, human trafficking, counterterrorism, counterintelligence, gangs, organized crime, child exploitation,” he added.

The conference last Monday involved the International Association of Chiefs of Police and held in Philadelphia. The agency head said that they failed to retrieve the data of almost 6,900 devices due to the encryption of the mobile phones.

It actually took the FBI almost 11 months and still did not succeed.

From the shared information through infowars.com, most of the mobile and Smartphone units, feature default’s applications encrypt content. Because of this, it would be difficult to access the data of the users because this kind of feature is strict and not allowing any sort of interception about private information.

Search this phone directory of available public information about phone number owners.

According to the statement of the FBI director also, the issue about attempting to hack the encrypted devices is in line with the 2016 iPhone hacking controversy. Last year, the agency made a demand that Apple managed to hack a mobile phone utilized by Syed Rizwan Farook, who is the gunman in a crime in San Bernardino.

Apple that time stated that they did not hack the device because the encryption features of the iPhone devices does not allow such activity due to its strict protection.

In an effort to calm down the worries of many iPhone users and the controversy, FBI they already discussed with a third party that can break or unlock the device of the gunman. Unfortunately, things had slightly changed because early this 2017, the agency admitted that they do not have the information from the third party, which came from the ruling of the federal court, as detailed by ZDNet.

From the point of view of the FBI director, they might not execute their plans better unless the Congress begins to re-authorizing the current Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA). He said that they have trouble completing their intelligence gathering due to the restrictions.

Based on the existing guidelines of FISA, it permits the secret services of America to wiretap both phone and online communications that involve US citizens and in overseas. However, the permission is only possible if the purpose has a significant value as part of an authorized investigation. On the other hand, many are not in favor of this kind of permission because it somehow affecting the privacy law and could trigger fear to the public.

As exposed by Edward Snowden few months ago, the NSA surveillance programs intend to retrieve users’ content when using the Internet through the mobile devices. This means that people who are using social media platforms, Microsoft, Google and Apple might not be aware that the NSA is trying to access their data.

Ransomeware Virus Worldwide Attack, Infected Over 75K Computers

From the latest shared information online, there is now a huge cyber attack that hits thousands of computer systems worldwide and they recognize the spreading malware as the Ransomware virus. It affected almost 99 countries and a total of 75,000 computer units, according to the recorded data of the investigation.

It infects the files on the computers and requiring the administrator to pay through bitcons to open them.

According from the news of rt.com, the Ransomware virus is also called WanaCryptor 2.0 or WannaCry and successfully infected 75,000 computer units in almost 99 countries. The problem manifested on Friday morning, said Avast and it quickly increased the spreading massively in just a few hours after they detected it.  The targeted countries include Taiwan, Russia, United States and Ukraine, among others.

Avast is one of the most reliable security software companies today.

Based on the investigation of the authorized experts, the WannaCry virus manages to penetrate Windows computers due to the security breach last March. On this matter, Microsoft may still need to deal with this problem as long as they do not update the systems of their computers as well as networks.

From the statement of Kaspersky Lab, the number of infected victims may continue to increase from the different targeted countries.

“Affected machines have six hours to pay up and every few hours the ransom goes up,” Kurt Baumgartner said. “Most folks that have paid up appear to have paid the initial $300 in the first few hours,” he added.

Baumgartner is the principal security researcher at Kaspersky Lab, which is a multinational cybersecurity and anti-virus provider in Russia.

This involved ransomware virus might infected at least 16 National Health Services (NHS) hospitals in the United Kingdom and Telefonica, the largest national telecommunications company in Spain, added by the reported news online. On the other hand, the computer attacks only affected the internal network and not affecting the customers such as the incident with Telefonica.

From the statement of the Spanish authorities who are investigating the issue, they advised the responsible people to fix the problem and found out the spreading is due to “EternalBlue” vulnerability.

In line with this kind of cyber attack, the healthcreitnews.com reported the news last month about ransomware virus that infected personal information of almost 55,000 hospital patients in ABCD Children’s Pediatrics in San Antonio, Texas. According to the shared information, the affected documents include the names, insurance bills, birthdates, Social Security numbers and results of laboratory tests, medical info, home addresses, phone numbers and technology codes procedures.

Based on the results of the investigation, the virus that breached the information is known as the “Dharma virus” and considered as one of the elements of the ransonware. The investigators likewise revealed that the hackers made us of unknown user accounts to access the system of the ABCD. Fortunately, the pediatric hospital and the expert IT team successfully cleared the virus and utilized the backups to restore all the affected information properly, the reported news added.

The issue about this latest cyber attack is serious because the involved hackers can immediately threaten the victims if they fail to send the required $300 payment using the cryptocurrency of bitcoin within 3 days.

For British Prime Minister Theresa May, she stated that this latest concern is not just attacking the hospitals in the UK, but it is part of wider attack worldwide.